Sending your children off to daycare can be very stressful. It’s stressful for you because you’ll worry about their safety and well-being throughout the day. It’s stressful for your children because they’ve never been separated from you before, so they might think that you’re abandoning them.
If you can help your children feel less apprehensive about daycare, then you won’t have to worry as much about their safety and well-being. Prepare them for daycare by using the following tips.
- Act it out. If you practice for daycare by making it into a game, your children will feel less nervous. You should act as the teacher or caregiver, and you should act out scenarios with your child, like reading, learning, singing songs, and doing other daycare activities.
- Read about it. Reading a children’s book about going to daycare will also help your children feel less apprehension. The books will give them a sense of what to expect.
- Practice essential skills. It helps if your children have some independence before they leave. Teach them how to use the restroom alone, tie their shoes, zip and unzip their coat, put on their backpack, etc.
- Practice fine motor skills. Your children should know how to use scissors, color, work clay into shapes, and do other basic activities before they go to daycare.
- Visit the daycare and meet the owners. Children often feel nervous because they’re unfamiliar with the venue and the people. Have your children meet the owners beforehand so that they can build trust.
- Meet other children. Your children will have to learn to share, take turns, and play nicely with others before they go to daycare. Arrange playdates with other children so that they can learn these skills.
- Practice separation. Separation anxiety is common for children who go to daycare for the first time. Give them time alone, keeping that time short at first, and always promise to come back.
If you use these strategies, your children will have more confidence in daycare, and they will flourish. You won’t have to feel guilty leaving your children on their own because they will be safe, and they will be happy. You’ll be able to go to work without worry.
If you need a safe place for your children to love, laugh, learn, and grow, contact Kid’s Country Child Care & Learning Center. We’ll give your children a comfortable and encouraging place to develop. Call us at (888) 622-2692 today!